There are a few ways Swedes celebrate this season that I very much enjoy. To kick off the season, candles and stars are displayed in the majority of windows the first weekend of advent. As October and November continue to increase with darkness and cold, this weekend comes and it is cozy and fun everywhere you go! Many christmas markets are also set up in squares to enjoy all the symbols of the holiday.
Saint Lucia Day is also a yearly tradition regardless of what a person believes. A 3rd century martyr who was known to bring food to Christians who were in hiding from persecution in the catacombs. She would wear a crown of candles to light her path in order to free her hands to carry the food. Hijacking a pagan holiday, December 13th became St. Lucia’s Day the festival of lights. It certainly creates a great bridge to talk about the Light of the World!
FINANCIAL UPDATE. This ministry is only made possible by the generosity of others. I am extremely grateful for the support and sacrifice you make to keep me on the field. Taking a second job teaching this year has added what is need to pay the taxes here (as to not need to raise another $500 a month) as well as keep me at a full salary. Yet paying the back taxes and moving to Stockholm has depleted the account I am responsible for. Please join me in praying for SPECIAL GIFT donations to help rebuild the account in order to continue to the work.
Here is a glimpse of my job description and what you are investing in:
- Building a new multi-cultural team owning a vision to bring church movement to the immigrants and refugees now living in Sweden back to their homelands
- Supervising new workers moving to the field over the next two years as God answers our prayer to raise up more laborers
- Assisting in supporting at least three new church plantings team stepping out in faith next year as we take steps with an intentional city reaching vision laboring with our national leaders
- Continuing to work with our team in Luleå so that disciple making communities grow and are strengthened
- Partnering with United World Mission in order to learn, network and collaborate with migrant leaders along the refugee highway wanting to see the nations reached
I appreciate you and running this journey together!